Constipation causes because the colon has absorbed the water in the food. Moreover, slower the food moves through the digestive tract, the colon has absorbed the more water. So, after that, the stool become hard and dry which is quite painful while empty the bowel. Following are the most common causes of constipation:
- Having a lack of fiber in your diet
- Using medicines such as painkillers, anti-depressants, etc
- You may be getting constipated by taking milk.
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inactive throughout the day (no exercise or physical activity)
- Changes in routine like during travel
- Stay dehydrated
- Not using the toilet when needed
- Having a problem in colon or rectum
- There is some different kind of diseases such as systemic disease, cancer, neurological disease, etc.
Main signs and symptoms of constipation are straining or feeling difficulty in passing stool. If you go to the toilet less than three days, a week can also lead to the constipation symptoms. However, some of the other signs of constipation are:
- Stomach ache
- Losing appetite
- Feeling bloating and nausea
- Stomach cramps
If you felt any of these constipation symptoms and signs, try to use home remedies for constipation to get controlled as healthy eating habit and lifestyle matters a lot in it. But if you do not feel better then visit your doctor for recommendations and suggestions.
You don’t need any treatment for constipation in many cases, because it can be cured by changing your lifestyle like eating healthy food for constipation; drink plenty of water and physical activity. You should know about how to help constipation naturally. Some of the home remedies for constipation are mention below:
Home remedies for constipation
- Take fiber rich foods to help with constipation like fruits, vegetables, and fortified cereals.
- Include bulking agents to soften your stool and make it easy to pass such as wheat bran.
- Go for exercise daily; it also helps the body in passing stool easily.
- You should drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated
- Do not hold your stool as it is a natural process of our body to pass stool.
- Do not forget to skip your meal.
- You should take long steps while bowel movement.
How to treat constipation with medicines
Laxatives are successfully curing the most cases of constipation which can be prescribed by your doctor. There are some OTC laxatives used to handle constipation which can be occurring in every person once.
- Stimulants can make your intestine to contract rhythmically includes correctol, senokot and Dulcolax.
- Use lubricants to move down the colon easily by using mineral oil and fleet.
- The safest laxative is known as fiber supplements which should be taken with lots of water. FiberCon, Metamucil, Citrucel, Serutan, and Konsyl are the bulk laxatives.
- You should use 5-HT-4 to increase the secretion of fluid in the intestines. Prucalopride is an example of it.
- Osmotic can help you in the movement of fluids through colon includes Sorbitol, cephulac, and Miralax.
- Colace and surfak are used to soften your stool.
If you are suffering from constipation for more than a week or longer, it can lead to difficulty in passage of stools. Every person may have occasional constipation, but people who have chronic constipation can lead to an inability in doing daily tasks. It can occur commonly when your stool moves slowly through digestive tract which causes the stool to get hard and dry. Other possible causes are:
- Locked the colon and rectum
- Having a problem in nerves around colon and rectum
- Facing difficulty with muscles in the elimination
Health conditions which affect the hormones
When you are eating low fiber diet, drink less water, taking medicines or any mental health condition that can increase the risk factors of chronic constipation. You may diagnose it by yourself if any of these signs and symptoms occur:
- Lumpy, hard and dry stool
- Passes less than three stools a week
- Feeling blockage in your rectum
- Need press to empty your rectum
If you are worried about how to get rid of constipation, you should see your doctor or nutritionists to get the proper treatment and diet for constipation.